Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Over The Last Few Days

Reunion shows are really just a sad reminder that the more you dedicate yourself to hardcore the less time you will have to develop a "life" that consists of material and professional acquisitions that may make hard times a little easier. Thank the hardcore scene for either remembering how much work Robby Redcheeks put into hardcore or for their love of the "big Reunion" to get the job done at the end of the day. I was so happy to see all the kids and the bands that day, but I wonder how many felt like they were doing good for a family who was truly in need and how many were there for the bragging rights.

I gotta say that Floorpunch was just what this scene needed. So many people talk and talk and talk online (ha just like I'm doing now) and yet when a band gets on stage and give more damn songs in one show then any other time I can ever remember... kids are still standing around scratching their ass. Not to say the finger pointing, diving and front of the crowd wasn't in effect, but it was the middle mass of people standing around and wasting their energy on "pre-mosh" that really reminded that kids today are just "not as into" the moment as we were.

I am well aware of the sheep mentality and follow the leader principles that are constantly on display at every show almost anywhere, but fucking- FLOORPUNCH reunion and people in the middle of the room just standing around really proves that the generation now are either really a bunch of candyasses or we did something wrong here after all.
I can think of just how excited I would get each weekend for the next show and it often featured bands that I'd just seen the weekend before, let alone the excitement of a reunion show - man we would have "torn the roof of that shack" (words of Joey Demaio/Manowar)
I am happy the crowds came, but a little bummed that the energy wasn't there throughout the sets. The band performed rather lengthy sets to fulfill any fanboys wet dream, yet no matter what they played it wasn't enough. Kids will talk about how they were losing and it was the best show in so long, but honestly the contemporary bands on both shows got more of a workout out of the crowd.
I should bash some of the older guys for coming out of hiding to get the dust off and just fill in the cracks after about 2 or 3 songs but I'll leave them be, I am just happy to see old faces.

I think as far as Church benefit shows go- this despite its huge turnout and amazing lineup for me falls short of the Stoney Benefit show. I was there, but my head was elsewhere. It was hard to focus on anything but the minute task at hand. One of the few shows that I knew I was having a good time, but I didn't feel like I was then. I guess it takes standing in a room full of friends with the thought that if he was just here with us everything would have been that much better...

I am very happy that some of the stress will be relieved off of Robby's step dad as he is a good man and has his hands full as it is. I can only hope that their family finds some peace in what little the benefit show did for them. Money may remove financial stress, but the growing pains of being without a mother is something that we can't fix with 10 benefit shows. I am glad I can call Robby a friend and even happier that hardcore did something for him after all the years of him doing for the scene without thought of repayment.

1 comment:

toohype1 said...

i wish you let me go to shows again.