Saturday, August 30, 2008

Appreciation.

There is only so much I can ever say without going too far from what I’d originally intended on focusing on. So much of what makes this Fest a success depends on the collective efforts of everyone that its impossible to thank everyone but there needs to be accolades spread amongst the masses so maybe that’s what this is about.
There is something to be said for 40 bands that spend up to six months planning out their year so they are on time and prepared for the fest so things work so perfectly… I can’t thank enough,each of the bands for not only doing their best up onstage but for taking the extra efforts to be on time, be prepared and able to lend a hand when needed. This fest wouldn’t work as efficiently if we had anything else but absolute cooperation and this year’s fest was a cakewalk because of their professional efforts in this regard. It should also be mentioned that I was so happy to see every band give 110% throughout the sets and for supporting the other bands. It’s these elements that push the quality of the sets over the top. Seeing guys who just played out on the floor or stage diving, grabbing the mic and joining in just continues the ethic of the bands are the kids, and the kids are the bands. It’s an important and often overlooked aesthetic that was in effect all weekend, which was quite pleasing to see.
On aesthetics, I must thank the companies who choose to spend their money and weekend sitting behind merch tables working like slaves for the masses of kids in attendance. “But Joe” you say…. “These people are working because they are making money being there”. I cannot dispute that they are working and that HOPEFULLY they are turning a profit for their weekend’s efforts. But they are but one small one cog in the works. They spend a minimal fee for the table space and have to get a van or rent one, find lodgings for the weekends and not included is the nasty cost of gas this summer. I am sure it wouldn’t be unheard of for some labels to not come back the following year just out of these added necessary expenses. But what they serve the works is more important then whether they profit or not. When we were younger searching for music was a physical effort. Sifting through boxes in barely together stores or merch tables across the coast was a big part of the time spent involved in hardcore. The excitement of not knowing what you would find and the hope that you would walk away with something awesome kept you coming back. In this regard online shopping and cd downloading has taken away the time necessary to find what you were looking for through diligent record “molesting” as a friend once called it. I am happy to have a piece of that back. There are times when I wish for things to be simpler and this is a chance to give this new generation a piece of what made the “ in between bands space” much more fun then sitting outside ending up in trouble. So thanks to the merchants who choose to sweat for their cash and serve the cause of reliving simpler days.
When we think of the fest the “given” is that they were will be kids there in droves and they will mosh to their hearts content. I would like to dispute the concept of the kids just being there. They are more then filler, they are more then a ticket total sold. They come from every corner of the world and they are sleeping in cars, living adventures and showing up 3 days straight to make the fest what it is. I could book every great band ever, have the best venue, perfect sound and if no one comes it will be for nothing. If the Bad Brains play TIH 2010 and the place is packed but no one makes a sound, moves an inch the set will be a failure. Its upon these kids to choose which bands will be remembered, which bands will be heralded and which bands will not make on the next year’s fest. There is something to be said for this fickle generation is that they show their appreciation just as easily as their dissatisfaction. I am glad we’ve keep the crowd on their toes and been able to provide for them a suitable venue, good sound, an excellent stage diving and bands that bring the reactions that we’ve gotten. I hope to always have the kids emailing and myspaceing us with the many thanks, appreciation and great stories about their times at the fest. It is that on Monday morning that made my day. Its what keeps me thinking about a fest that still has about 50 weeks before it happens again. I am forever indebted to make sure they will always be here and they will be motivated to change the course of the night from a decent set to a moment to be remembered into their 30’s.
I am never short on words or praise and the staff of R5 productions deserves a lion’s share of my love. They have outshined their previous efforts this year and I am so proud to see the newer guys getting more involved. I would to believe that next year we will have 100% stage dive participation from the many staffers we have but then again if they were stage diving all night I wouldn’t be able to applaud them would I?
I’ve never needed a partner more in a situation like this and its Sean Agnew at R5 that allows me to have this dream come to life each year. He is so humble but he is truly a big piece of the TIH puzzle and I thank him time and time again for allowing this to happen.
He is one of the most pure DIY promoters in the country and his intimate knowledge of all the inner workings has truly taught me a thing or two about the way to run this fest.
Robby Redcheeks has been an inspirational friend and supporter of my efforts since day one but he has really stepped up and cleaned the stage of the evil hardcore paparazzi that was plagued the view from the stage and keeping the bands from going off and giving the kids the show they paid for. He is not only one of the best in his craft but he is truly still living the hardcore kid life well into being a homeowner and responsible adult and that in itself is commendable.
I’ve been booking shows since I was a teenager yet by the time I was into my 20’s I was blessed with a silent partner whose diligence and eye for details have never truly been made public but were always vital to the success of my operations. This year with the cards stacked against me, Samantha Cox has stepped up and really not only given her time and effort but has picked up slack and has played a tremendous key role in sorting out the stuff that may have fallen through the cracks on a hectic day. I look forward to her future contributions to This Is Hardcore Fest.
In the next year you will see amazing things done with This Is Hardcore. “Juice” has started his work with the website and art for next year. Eulogy and FloatingBoyMedia are grinding things together now for the best possible outcome on the 2008 DVD. I am looking forward to its release in early 09.
Finally thanks to the unsung heroes like Jeremy from Jumpstart records for not only making gorgeous posters but for putting in extra work with the fest, helping where he could. Tom and John Hiltz for the excellent sound again, Joe at Red Planet Sound for the Back line, Chris Striegal for working the show for free just out of love/boredom/insanity. Wes (PIMP) for handling the security details with an amazing efficiency and cool professional approach. I cant thank you all enough and this is already probably too long winded.
Take care and I will see you in 09
www.thisishardcorefest.com

No comments: